Monday, February 17, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

Feliz día del amor y la amistad!  Hermana Jimenez y yo celebrated by buying each other chocolate.  We both wanted it to be a surprise, but that is a bit more difficult when you are always within sight and sound of your companion, ahaha!

Well, the mud and I are not friends.  Or really great friends.  Not sure how to classify it.  This week, while searching for a less active, I went to kick a soccer ball to a group of children and slipped in the mud.  I ended up on my rear and my foot became completely muddy, just like last week, haha!  I wonder how I will become muddy this week :)
This week we had a Zone Conference.  I got to go back to my old area because the meeting was in Fesitranh.   It was a spiritual feast.  We talked about being more obedient and the talk entitled "Becoming a Consecrated Missionary" by Tad R. Callister.  It is truly incredible, and it has ignited a desire to be a more obedient missionary, not just because it is part of mission life but because I truly want to give my all to this mission.  I know that my all is a very small repayment for His all.  I know I say it a lot, but I really love President and Sister Dester.  I hope I get to see them after our missions. :)  I also had my three companions at the conference!  That photo will come next week.
On Friday, we decided to give away free homemade orange juice to try and meet new people.  With our juice, we also had an array of pamphlets and materials from the church to entice people to ask questions.  It was really fun!  Again, photos next week. I had a bit of a problem with one of my camera memories.   

Saturday was a bit rough.  We had planned a movie night for investigators and less-actives. During the week, we made invitations, invited everyone we talked to, had the elders pass out invitations and... almost no one came. A couple of members showed up and one investigator from the elders. That was hard. The truth, I wanted to cry, but I didn't want to cry in front of Hermana Jimenez because we are trying to be positive. So I just smiled instead and tried to comfort Hermana Jimenez, who was crying. Maybe it wasn't everything we had hoped, but I feel like I learned a valuable lesson that day.  When I smiled through our trial, I truly felt happier and lost my desire to cry.  I am certain I will see more trials in my future.  I know I am an emotional person.  If I choose to be happy and put all my force into positive emotions, I am certain I will be blessed.  I will be able to endure.  At least, that is my greatest hope. That I can endure to the end.

In other news, our investigator, Michel, wants to be baptized!!  We don't have a date yet, but that is a blessing!  Michel is 13 and the granddaughter of a recent convert.  We pray this will be an opportunity to teach her whole family so they can one day make it to the temple.
As you all know, I love food.  One of the traditional dishes here in Honduras is called Baleadas.  Well, this weekend, I made my very first baleadas!!!  They weren't so great, haha, but by the end of my mission, they shall be supreme!  Forget lemonade stands, I'm makin' a baleada stand so I can pay for my study abroad. :)  In other food news, here in Honduras, there is something called a Topogigio (toe-poe-ye-yo).  Don't worry, I can't really pronounce it either.  But it is delicious!  It is basically a fruit pop made in a bag...okay, photos are needed.  Maybe that will be the next thing I learn to make!
Today, part of our zone went to Omoa to see a fortress!  It was pretty sweet.  My favorite part was when we went to lunch (ay, again with the food, I know!) We ate shrimp on the beach, some of THE BEST shrimp I have ever eaten!  I got fried shrimp, but the garlic shrimp were the best. 
Well, I really do love you all very, very much.  Thank you for your well-wishes and prayers.  They are very much appreciated.

LOVE,
Hermana Grondel :)

The fortress in miniature

One side of the fortress

Random sign in front of the fortress

On top of the fortress

Inside a watch tower

The church inside the fortress

Random well 
I found Don Juan!! (See Les Misérables, "Red and Black")

Train

Elder Coronel and I used the same shirts

Another traditional honduran dish - an entire fried fish.  I did not eat this.

No comments:

Post a Comment