Monday, August 25, 2014

I cannot believe I have made it to one year out on the mission. This time has flown by.  The day I hit a year, I was close to tears almost all day.  I love this work.  I love this life.  I love what I am becoming, and I don't want to stop doing this.  Ever.

I made a list of some of the things I have learned this year, and I wanted to share them with you:

-Who I am
-Who I want to be
-How to Speak Spanish
-How to wash clothes by hand
-How to make tortillas
-How to make arroz con leche
-The Savior's atonement is real
-What it TRULY means to be a member of this church
-Mint Oreos are my weakness
-Tamarindo juice, made strong and hot, is one of the worst things on Earth...and shortly after drinking it, you WILL have to find a bathroom. I really cleans out your system
-Other people matter
-MoTab is one of the greatest choirs on Earth
-Nothing calms the heart as quickly as singing a hymn
-Prayer is a great de-stresser
-The Book of Mormon is better in Spanish
-The Lord answers prayers - ALWAYS
-We cannot think to earn a great reward if we choose to shun the fight
-I can choose to be happy
-Selfless service rests the weary mind and heart
-Nothing tastes as good as Mom's cooking
-If it's not fried, it's probably not eaten here
-Bugs are a normal part of some people's lives
-Maggots become huge, ugly, green flies
-Just because you can't sing, doesn't mean you shouldn't
-How to dance Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
-Fasting is the fastest way to receive an answer
-If you don't know the word, try to act it out.  You'll at least get a laugh
-"Called to Serve" is better in Spanish
-Riches don't equal happiness
-A hand-written letter makes all the difference
-Mexico is a lovely country
-Talking out your problems is much better than bottling them up
-A smile changes everything
-Soccer is one of the greatest sports on this planet
-Without the members' help, all this work is for naught.
-Everybody has a story
-I prefer a Samsung Galaxy
-Faith + Obedience + Hard Work= Power
-I love writing
-No margarine tastes nearly as good as real butter
-"Adventure is Out there!"
-Want to be happy?  Follow the Spirit
-How to effectively plan
-There are no such things as impossible dreams
-It is better to laugh at yourself than wallow in self-pity
-Patience wins out in the end
-The Scriptures bring you closer to God

Friday was a day full of miracles. But it didn't start out that way. Actually, it started out rather badly. The morning was filled with doctors appointments, the majority of our appointments cancelled on us- including a very important one where he was going to receive a blessing - we struggled to have a member join us to teach, one woman whom we were teaching even refused to let us sing because she was afraid of what the neighbors would say. (I think she thought we were evangelicos and were going to start rocking out or something, hahaha). But at the end of the day, we didn't care because the evening was so stellar. We met a wonderful family, whose grandmother is beyond excited to learn with us. After just one lesson, they all came to church yesterday - and loved it. This abuelita even asked us to get a hold of the hymns on CD so she can listen to them.

That same night, we went to visit an investigator whose son is serving a mission. She wants to be baptized, but her husband doesn't want to get married. During the lesson, we started talking about L3, and de repente we began talking about marriage and how God isn't happy with them, a subject we usually have avoided because the "husband" se enoja. And he did become a bit bothered, but the testimony of the member that came with us was PERFECT, and they even opened up and asked for the help we need. Later, the investigator told me that we had mentioned EXACTLY what was going on in their home, so perfectly that her "husband" accused her of telling us of their problems (which she has never done.)

#ijustopenmymouthandweareallsurprisedbywhatcomesout


Well, I love you all!!

LOVE,
Hermana Grondel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment