Monday, November 3, 2014

So, here I am, just another week chillin´ out here in Copan.

But literally, chilling.  It is rather cold out here.  I used a sweater almost half the week this week.  And I have hardly ever used a sweater here in Honduras, hahaha.  And when I say chilly, it's been about 60-70 degrees.  Which means everyone gets out their coats and hats and scarves and no one leaves their house. :)

 I honestly feel as though I've been assigned to a new mission, Misión Honduras Copán.  We already worked out who is the mission president and the office elders.  I'm the nurse of the mission here, hahahaha.  Which is ironic since I got sick this week, but I'm great now. Nothing serious.

Out here in Copan, I am learning a whole bunch about patience, charity, humility - basically all the Christlike attributes I have ever hoped to gain. I am also paying the price for them.  It costs everything, everything I have.  But I so desperately want to become what God sees I can become.  My own will doesn't matter.  I am trying to give it all to Him because He can do so much more with what I have than I can do alone.  I think that is what I am learning more than anything out here.  How to depend completely and fully on my Savior, because I certainly cannot do this alone.  Living in a pueblo helps me refocus on my Savior.  I am in constant awe of the love He has for these people.  And for me as well.

One morning this week was particularly rough for me. As we were walking around, trying to contact, I wondered if we were doing something wrong. I thought about how not everything in the mission is beautiful and wonderful, that there are trials to make us stronger. As we approached one house, I thought of the quote from Pres. Monson that is in PMG under Christlike Attributes talking about patience. The phrase "often, the heavenly virtue of patience is required" entered my mind. We knocked- well, really, we shouted buenas - and a man came out. Who then invited us into his house. And introduced us to his whole family. Who loves the missionaries and wants to learn more. I was shocked. And so happy. I felt a sweet calm in their home, something I hadn't felt in a while. Even though the rest of the day almost no one was home and less people wanted to let us in, I felt happy. Por lo menos, I know this gospel is true. And it strengthens me every day. I can't explain it.  Every day, I finish exhausted.  And sometimes no one has listened to us all day.  But I'm so happy.  I cannot help but be happy.  (Tender mercy. :) )

Today was a FANTASTIC day.  We rented a bus as a zone and we went off to the Copan Ruins!!  I got to spend the whole day with Hermana Marley, and we just had a blast.  I met a group of people from France.  It was crazy.  I could understand more or less what they were saying, but I couldn't remember how to speak to them!!  I kept talking at them in Spanish, hahaha.  On the way back, the elders were taking turns pretending to be un cobrador of the bus, shouting "Mayeco, Mayeco!!  Choloma, Roatan, Quebrada Seca!!"  Oh man, we were dying.  Good day. :)

Well, I love you all bunches and bunches. :)

LOVE,
Hermana Grondel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment