Saturday, November 30, 2013

My mini vacation

Well it is Tuesday, but it feels like Monday... This week will be interesting!

Last Tuesday, we had the opportunity to be a part of a Family Home Evening with Familia Irias y Hermana Marta.  Hermana Irias is the Relief Society President, hermano Irias is the elder's quorom president, and they have 3 children, Alejandro, Andrea, y Naomi.  They are so sweet, and we eat Lunch with them on Sundays.  Hermana Marta is an older lady that lives in a house with her two grandsons who are not members. Alejandro (16) taught the lesson about the talk given by President Monson about his time in the Navy, and he showed the video "Dare to Stand Alone".  It was especially powerful because after the video, Bro. Irias turned to their youngest daughter, Naomi, who is only 8 years old.  He said, "We want to congratulate you Naomi because you chose to stand alone among your friends.  I hope you know that you are never alone, that your Heavenly Father is always with you."  He then explained that he works near Naomi's school and one day, he was buying a snack and saw Naomi alone during recess time.  He then asked his wife why that was, and Hna. Irias asked Naomi.  naomi told her it was because the girls at her school said things that weren't right.  Her mom asked what kinds of things, and when she started to tell her, Hna Irias said, okay, maybe it's better to stand alone.  The moment was so sweet when Hno. Irias congratulated her.  I loved being able to be there.

Okay, funny story.  I was thinking about the movie Casablanca, and in the back of my mind, I wondered if it meant anything in Spanish, but wasn't really thinking about it.  Later, we were looking for the house of someone we had met in the street earlier.  Everyone kept saying he lives in a "casa blanca".  ... casa...blanca...CASABLANCA!  It took me quite some time to figure that out, haha!

Oh, Nick, we ran into one of the young men in our branch this week, and he was wearing a shirt that said "I get buckets".  I wanted a picture with him so bad!

Last Friday, we had a Zone Conference combined with Choloma.  It was so wonderful!  I wish I had a recording of it all.  President Dester taught us about such wonderful things.  One of the things we read was Jacob 5:70-75.  He asked us the question, Why does He have us work with Him? He could do it alone or another way.  But He wants to become like Him.  That's way He has us work with Him, and He is working with us every step of the way.

I love watching people grow closer to the Lord.  It is incredible to see how the Spirit can change a person from rough or sharp or immature into, well, into a saint.  What a privilege to be so close to a person as they begin to accept the Lord in their lives.  Especially in my own.  

I'm sure you are all curious why this week we had P-day on Tuesday.  Well, from Saturday to Monday, we were not allowed to leave our houses, with the exception of Sacrament Meeting on Sunday.  So, today is P-day!  We were in our houses because Honduras had elections on Sunday, and the mission was taking a precaution.  So, Hermana Vasquez and I had a lot of time to clean, wash, eat, study, relax, and watch approved movies!  Our branch is so sweet.  They brought us food because they didn't want us to starve while we were incarcerated ;).  Saturday, after studying, we washed almost all of our clothes and relaxed.  Sunday, we went to church, watched videos, updated the area book, and had the most wonderful study session together.  Wow.  I love this work, and I love hermana Vasquez!  We also wrote letters.  Monday, we studied, planned, and washed a little more.  Then, we watched 17 Miracles.  Oh man, I LOVE that movie!  We both cried.  It was like a mini vacation.

So, while I was in el CCM, (MTC) there were three foods that I was craving so badly.
1. A Barbacoa Pork Salad from Cafe Rio with a boatload of that creamy house dressing
2. A Cheeseburger
3. Kraft macaroni and Cheese

Well, my second day in Honduras, we went to Burger King for lunch... cheeseburger: check.
Yesterday, we made Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!!! AHHHH! Yes!  There is kraft mac and cheese here!  I don't think I will be able to have the salad until I get back to the states though, haha!

Other funny story:  Yesterday, I was trying to remember the word for autumn in Spanish.  Here was my conversation with Hna Vasquez (translated into english):
-Hermana, what is the word for the time, oh, you know, from September to November - 
-OCTOBER!
-....No...Not exactly what I am trying to say...

It was really funny :)

Well, I love you all so very much!

LOVE,
Hermana Grondel

The picture of the bird is our friend that has visited us almost every morning since last Wednesday.  He will fly to one of our two windows and tries to come in... not really sure why :)
The other photo is from the FHE.  Hno. Irias had set the timer and then tried to rush to sit down with us.  We were all laughing when the camera took the photo.
We also bought a Tres Leches.  It is basically cake with a lot of milk.  Very interesting. Hna Vasquez likes it a lot more than I :)
The other food is Pollo con Tajadas, Chicken with plaintain chips.  It is one of the customary dishes of Honduras, and one of my favorites!
Me and my macaroni!
One of the members knows how much I love popcorn ( and Hna Vasquez too) so he brought us a bag of popcorn!



No comments:

Post a Comment