Monday, September 1, 2014

Howdy Hey!

This week has flown by.  I cannot believe it is already September.

Wednesday we had a Multi-Zone Conference with half the mission and Elder José L. Alonso, de los setenta.  He is in the Area Presidency of Central America.  Wow, it was an inspiring day.  Remember that choir I had mentioned two weeks ago?  Well, it was for this conference.  We sang "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" to the tune of "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing", and in part of the song, no one sang; an elder shared the First Vision.  And it was so powerful.  Though the elders only had a chance to practice for about 40 minutes the day before and we only had one run-through the day of with all of the elders and hermanas (since half the choir was from Copan), I felt calm and at peace.  I cannot describe how beautiful it was.  I was awed at the power of the Lord.  I feel so blessed to have been a part of it.  Elder Alonso even mentioned that it had brought the spirit to him in a powerful and very personal way.

The conference was full of pure revelation that will help us SO much here as we begin to incorporate it.  I especially loved a thought from Sister Dester, the mission president's wife.  She spoke of the impact her Stake President had on her as a teenager, but she never mentioned it to him.  She spoke of her curiousity when he spoke.  As he spoke, he would always cry.  She began thinking, "He knows something about this gospel that I don't understand". When she was older, they happened to live near each other again, so she planned to visit him, only to discover that he had Alzheimer's, so he would not remember her.  Soon, he passed away, and she went to his funeral.  She mentioned a thought that one of the speakers shared.  He said that this man was a "High Yield, Low Maintenance" member of the church.  Think about that.  I began asking myself, "What kind of missionary am I? What kind of member am I?"  Do I requiere much of everything and do little?  Or do I truly give all I have?  Do I move on and grow from my experiences?  It is a phrase I never want to forget.

Today we went and hiked the Coca-Cola!  Think Hollywood sign, but a bit smaller.  It was a blast. :)

Other than that, it's just been normal missionary life.  Transfers are this week, but I've got no clue if we have changes or not.  I'll let you know next week!  I love you all!

LOVE,
Hermana Grondel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment